Friday, May 30, 2008

Salute to Sebastian Campesi

Last week, on Thursday night, some local jazz musicians got together and held a tribute to Sebastian Campesi. Yes, Paola's father. Irma doesn't know I went, so please, don't say anything.

It was a great evening of jazz and swing and quirky anecdotes about Sebastian or Campy, as he is called in the music field. This man inspired many young musicians and helped launch a lot of careers. Paola couldn't make it into town so I went in her place and took a lot of pictures. I'll post some here.

Sebastian Campesi






Sebastian and his wife, Eloise
Curtis Calderon - he is currently playing for The Four Freshmen

Ken Slavin - worked with him at the Atkins Agency - the man is the last of the true lounge singers.


Johnny Bush singing. Most of these men's names I can't remember.

Kyle Keener on drums, Hank Harrison (of the former Tennessee Valley Authority) on fiddle, and Jim Cullum. Anyone from San Antonio should know who he is.

No comments: